By Errol Tiwari, Stabroek News The debate was already raging when I joined the small group downtown, well-wishers of chess who enjoy discussing the literature of the game, and the people who play it. The question was: Who is the greatest chess player of all time? I could not answer the question then and I cannot do so now. The argument is futile. Some would say Fischer, some would say Kasparov. Before Fischer, the last supermaster was Alekhine. Preceding him, in reverse order, were Capablanca, Lasker and Steintz, all world champions who comprised a magic circle of greatness. Players like Tal and Spassky have touched the perimeters of the circle and even entered it on occasion, but were never card-carrying members. Bobby Fischer is. There is a mystique about Fischer which continues to fascinate people who are not even remotely connected to chess. No other chess player alive or dead has succeeded in capturing the imagination of people around the world like Fischer did. He did more to pop...
Comments
I guess the question that I like to ask most bloggers is how their rating has progressed over the time they have been blogging. You've been going over one year so have you met or exceeded your aims and objectives?
I've had some decent finishes in U2000/U1900 tournaments. I feel more comfortable against higher rated competition than I ever have previously, so I'd say it going as planned so far, but there is lots of work left to do.
I don't get the chance to compete as much as I'd like due to work and family.